The Laureus World Sports Awards is one of the most prestigious awards in the sporting world. It is awarded to honour individuals and teams in the world of sports for their achievements throughout a calendar year.
It was first introduced in 1999 and is presented annually by the Laureus Sport for Good Foundation. It is one award that sport.netbet.ng fans look forward to for different reasons.
Roger Federer has received the most Laureus awards, with 6 to his name. In 2020, Lionel Messi became the first footballer and first person from a team sport to be named sportsman of the year. Among the superstars and big names who have had a memorable year and received nominations for the Laureus Awards are tennis star, Rafael Nadal, F1 driver, Lewis Hamilton, NBA’s LeBron James, Bayern Munich striker, Robert Lewandowski, Naomi Osaka, Federica Brignone, Tadej Pogacar, Bayern Munich, Los Angeles Lakers, and the Mercedes-AMG Petronas Formula One Team. Let us look at their 2020s in retrospect.
1) Rafael Nadal: The Spanish tennis star had a great 2020 in which he finally caught up to longtime rival, Roger Federer’s grand slam haul of 20 grand slams with yet another win in Roland Garros, his 13th title in the French Open. He also won the Mexican Open in February 2020 before the world went into lockdown mode.
2) Lewis Hamilton: The British racecar driver finally equaled Michael Schumacher’s record of the most Formula One World Championships as he won his record equalling seventh Championship in 2020. He also featured prominently on the Black Lives Matter protest, wearing shirts and other accessories on which the words were emblazoned. He also lent his platform to the cause.
3) LeBron James: The 36-year-old NBA great led his team, the Los Angeles Lakers to a record-equaling NBA title. He was named Time’s Athlete of the Year 2020, and he also earned All-NBA first team hounours for the 13th time in his career.
4) Robert Lewandowski: The Polish striker scored 55 goals to lead Bayern Munich to only their second treble as they won the German Bundesliga, DFB Pokal and UEFA Champions League. He won a host of awards in 2020 for the exceptional year he had.
5) Naomi Osaka: Naomi Osaka is a Japanese American professional tennis player. Secondary to her tennis abilities, her activism is well known outside the court. She won her second US Open event in 2020.
6) Federica Brignone: The 30-year-old Olympic medallist is from Italy. She is an Alpine ski racer, and she won the 2020 World Cup overall title, making her the first Italian woman to win the title.
7) Tadej Pogacar: The Slovenian rider rides for UCI World team UAE Team Emirates. He won the 2020 Tour de France.
8) Bayern Munich: The German champions won a wonderful treble by clinching the Bundesliga title, DFB Pokal and UEFA Champions league. Under coach Hansi Flick in 2020, Bayern Munich won more trophies than they lost matches.
9) Los Angeles Lakers: The LA Lakers, led by LeBron James finally won their record-equaling 17th NBA championship in 2020.
10) Mercedes-AMG Petronas: The Formula One team were able to win the Championship. Mercedes has seen its engine used by a lot of winners in the past, with Nine Constructors Championships, and 13 Drivers Championship winners attesting to having used the engines to win.
The awards will be held individually in batches so that the company can give the award to the recipients. It would be interesting to see who the winners will be as the contestants are closely matched.